William Muir Laughton WWII

The Service Records of William Muir Laughton for the Second World War were available on Ancestry.ca as well as in the initial file from Library and Archives Canada (August 2009). The new Ancestry file (June 2013), which has more information, is now available here:

Information on the correction of William Muir Laughton’s records with the Commonwealth War Graves Commission – where they mixed WWI and WWII is detailed on his Ancestor Page on this site:

The following summary of his service in WWII is posted on his ancestor page as follows:

William Muir Laughton is reported to have joined the Edmonton Regiment of the “Canadian Active Service Force” on September 7, 1939.  At that time he was 45 years of age.  He was living in Edmonton, Alberta and was married to Martha Laughton. They had one child, David Benson Laughton who was 19 years of age.

William’s WWII records show that he died on March 31, 1943 at the Shaughnessy Hospital in Vancouver B.C. from “Carcinoma of right tonsil” (cancer). He is buried in the M of the Masonic Plot of the Nelson Memorial Park, in Nelson British Columbia. It is reported he was awarded the Defence Medal, War Medal and the CVSM & Clasp. He was subsequently granted the Memorial Bar on March 3, 1952.

William had served with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment in Canada and England. He was discharged from the “Canadian Active Service Force” on September 16, 1940 after being classes as medically unfit for military service.

William’s WWII Service Records unfortunately state his date of birth as January 24, 1894. Library and Archives Canada (2009) would not correct this error as they base their documents on what was in the file at the time of service. At the time of attestation in WWII he reported that he lived at 11344-123 Street in Edmonton, Alberta. His occupation was that of a Meat Cutter & Salesman (sometimes as a “Butcher”), working for the Burns Co. Ltd.  On March 15, 1941 he indicated that he could not return to work for that company as a result of his “disability”.

William’s WWII Service Record shows that he made it to England with the Loyal Edmonton Regiment and was there as early as February 1940. He was SOS (Struck off Strength) to the #1 Canadian Infantry Base Depot at Aldershot England on June 1, 1940 when he was admitted to hospital. He was subsequently sent back to Edmonton on or about June 13, 1940, eventually ending up in the #13 District Depot on August 31, 1940. There is no record of what happened from that date until his death on March 31, 1943, other than that he was discharged from the “Canadian Field Force” on September 16, 1940.